from The New Encyclopedia of Social Reform
[Source: The New Encyclopedia of Social Reform (1908), 29.]
ALTRUIST COMMUNITY: A small attempt at community life, with office in St. Louis, Mo. It was first organized in 1868 in Jasper County, Mo., with ten members. Unable to meet its payments for land, it has made various other attempts, and now owns eight and a half acres near Sulphur Springs, and is engaging in the poultry and gardening business. It has also a headquarters in St. Louis, where it publishes a monthly, The Altruist, and a book of 424 pages containing a full explanation of its principles and organization. From the beginning Mr. A. Longley has been the organizer and head. Address: 2711 Franklin Avenue, St. Louis, Mo.