The Dark Mother
From The Libertarian Labyrinth
- O Death, the Dark Mother, receive us
- We are tired & fain would we rest;
- The glare of the daytime doth grieve us,
- We seek the cool night of thy breast.
- We came from thee, Mother, aforetime;
- Out of Death's womb life groweth fast,
- But always approacheth restore-time,
- We return to thee, Mother, at last
- O mother, Dark Mother, receive us!
- We are tired, ay, sometimes we weep—
- Play-worn & work-worn, retrieve us!
- We are weary & wistful for sleep.
J. Wm. Lloyd